What do I need to bring for a Flight?
Byron Bay Gyrocopters will provide you with all what you need: a flight suit, aviation headsets and a pilots-helmet. Please bring your compact camera, SLR or video camera too otherwise you would regret it deeply, promised! All cameras, which you want to use must have a wrist strap, neck strap or string attached to the camera’s body. Unfortunately we can not allow a hand held mobile phones or cameras without any safety straps attached. In addition to this, it’s always good to bring a hat, sunscreen and some drinking water.
Teenagers under the age of 16 need to bring the written consent of their parents or legal carer.
How do I get to Tyagarah?
We have a detailled map and directions on this homepage (Location), which will help you to find us. Considering that not everybody has a car, we can provide pick-up services from Mullumbimby, Brunswick Heads and Byron Bay. This service is free of charge for all 60min or 90 min flight bookings for two or more people, but only if we have availability. There are also local Taxi-Companies and Uber available from Byron Bay.
What if I am scared of heights?
That’s usually not a problem, most pilots are too. Seriously, we take great care of our passengers and students. The Intercom installed in all our aircrafts allows us to talk to each other anytime during the Flight via our Headsets. If you don’t feel good, then we just go back and see how you go. In 99% of cases the scared-of-heights-feeling is only relevant when having solid ground under your feet (it is the scare to loose the solid ground and to fall). This is usually not effective when you move with the aircraft (“ground”). Ask yourself if you had the scared-of-heights-sensation when you flew the last time in an aeroplane.
How high do you fly?
On our TI Flights we usually fly between 500 ft and 1500 ft (150 m and 500 m). This is a sufficient “safety-height” for flat land flying and beaches. This is also a great Altitude for exploring what’s on the ground or in the water and it’s not getting too cold yet. In aviation there is the general rule: more Height – is more safety. Going over Mountains or Ridges, we generally fly in a safe distance regarding to the contour of the landscape. Sometimes we just have to stay in a certain altitude depending on the location (especially around airports) in order to comply with the Air Regulations and to provide safety for the traffic around an airport.
Is flying Gyrocopter dangerous?
A Gyrocopter can not stall or tail-spin and is able to land smoothly even if the engine would stop in mid-air. Gyro-Flying is not more dangerous then driving in a car (in fact, the statistics says that flying Gyrocopters is actually by far safer). Anyway, we guarantee that our full-time Instructors are highly professional in what they do and they do anything to make flying with you as safe as humanly possible. The Gyrocopter itself is known to be one of the world’s safest aircrafts. Even if the engine would fail completely a Gyro would still keep on flying due to its unique ability of auto-rotation (self-propelling Rotors).
What is Auto-Rotation?
Auto-Rotation follows a similar principle to a windmill. The rotor on a Gyro generates lift and forward-drive when air is passing through. This means for the Gyrocopter, as long there is wind coming through the rotor blades, they will keep on spinning fast enough to fly and land you safely. A Gyrocopter cannot stall and this ability makes is to one of the safest and most efficient aircrafts in the world.
Is there an age, weight or height limit of people you take on board?
Yes, there are limits and restrictions. The passenger we can take up for a FI flight should not exceed 110 Kilograms or 240 Pounds. A Student for Flight Training should not weight less than 50 Kg and should not be younger than 14 years old (under 16 years – you will need a written consent of your parents or legal carer).
For any older TI flight passengers and Student-Pilots, it is important that you let us know if you are on any medication or if you have physical restrictions of any kind.
There are no real body height restrictions as such but a short student-pilot must be able to reach comfortable the foot pedals in our aircraft. A taller or bigger person has to make sure that the control stick and rudder-pedals can move freely.
What happens if the weather is bad?
Flying is always weather permitting. In case the weather conditions are not good for flying, then the Flight Instructor would contact you and cancel/ abort the planned flight as soon as possible and postpone. And if we can’t fly you over the following 3 days due to the bad weather, you will be fully refunded. We want you to feel and be safe. All our Flight Instructors are experts in meteorology and always well informed about the latest weather reports. Safety is our priority, always!
How do I pay you?
We accept Cash, Credit Card and Transfers into our bank account. For payments via credit card we unfortunately would need to charge you a 2% service charge). Due to the interrupted and slow broadband connection for electronically payments at the hangar, we would prefer cash payments on the day we fly.
Payments for TI Flights:
For all TI Flight bookings, which are more then 3 days away, we would like to ask you for a 20% deposit and for Flights on the day, the full payment is to be made before you enter the aircraft.
For Student Pilot-Training
By choosing a Pilot-Training-Package, we would like to ask you for a 10% deposit to confirm the booking. The full payment is due at the day the Pilot-Training is commencing. For all other Training hours you can pay us as you go.
Is there a discount if we are a group of 4 people or more?
Yes, there certainly is a discount for you guys. The amount we can discount is depending on how many people want to fly and which sort of Flight or Training you want to. Please give us a call or send us an email and let us know. Phone: 0487 50 25 50 / Email: email@example.com
Is there a refund in case I or you need to cancel a flight-booking?
- Yes, if your flight is cancelled by one of our Instructors, you may rebook or get a full refund. For packages-deals booked through us the refund will be for the amount of the booked Gyrocopter flights only.
- Gyrocopter flights are completely dependent upon the weather and are regulated by Civil Aviation Safety Regulations. It may be necessary to postpone a flight at any time, if in our judgment the conditions are not suitable.
- We reserve the right to cancel a flight at any time up to the moment of takeoff.
- Gift vouchers are unfortunately not refundable or transferable.
- Gift Vouchers remain valid for 1 year from month of purchase.
- Bookings for instructional training flights are transferable to another person.
- Flight dates and bookings may not be altered within 1 day (24h) prior to the flight date or the ticket is forfeited and neither refund nor a re booking will be made. This also applies to bookings made for gift vouchers.
- We understand circumstances may arise outside of your control however reasonable notice given allows another student the opportunity to have a lesson booked in your place. Additionally, more than likely we already have allocated your instructor and other resources to your flight. Byron Bay Gyrocopters would like to request all of our valued students to please ensure that a minimum of 36 hours’ notice is given if you cannot attend your scheduled flying lesson. Should you be unable to provide at least 36 hours’ notice, you will be charged a non-negotiable lesson cancellation fee of 50% of the value of your booked TI Flights. Students which purchased a 10 hrs or 20 hrs Training Program would be charged the value of one training hour.
Please click on this link to read about all our refund policy for our flight bookings…
You can advise our Flight Instructor to reschedule your lesson by either calling or sending a SMS to the school on 0487 50 25 50. Alternatively, you can send us an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All notifications of withdrawal from a course or requests for refunds must be made in writing, addressed to the Chief Flying Instructor via email: email@example.com